Popcorn is planning a social media campaign on “Defi for Good” with the help of PopAmbassadors/social media influencers to benefit a community-based project in restoring nature to the Kenyan Eburu Forest.
The goal is to help tell the story and raise funds for a real-world cause. This initiative will
- help Popcorn to leverage pubic relation partnerships
- establish a beneficiary relationship and raise its credibility and leadership in social impact before we start to get sufficient funds to start a granting cycle
- connect the Popcorn community with real-world impact through meaningful storytelling with reputable environmental NGOs
Popcorn’s focus on Environment
Environment is one of the focus areas of the Popcorn Foundation as described below:
We are committed to supporting activities that strengthen the conservation and protection of natural resources, advance ecological sustainability, biodiversity and foster harmony between communities and the environment. We empower communities to access grants and other resources, embrace local solutions, and spur innovation to address the causes and reduce the effects of climate change and environmental degradation.
Introduction of Rhino Ark Foundation
Rhino Ark seeks solutions in the mountain range ecosystems of Kenya and for the benefit of Eastern Africa generally to:
- Conserve such ecologically precious indigenous forests and their provision of vital environmental services;
- Create a sustainable and harmonious environment that enables people and wildlife, including all flora and fauna, to coexist;
- Create and provide sustainable programmes for forest edge communities based on payments for ecosystem services. Such programmes and projects will be tailored to create income generation for the communities that support the conservation of natural resources;
- Mobilize stakeholders nationwide and internationally for initiatives to protect and conserve the habitat and promote managed use of forest products for the benefit of present and future generations;
- Raise funds and other forms of support to develop sound management processes over entire ecosystems.
- Create frameworks where wider society and forest edge communities become involved in the management processes through public-private partnerships;
- Build mechanisms and management structures to prevent illegal exploitation of the forest habitat wherever it is threatened.
In so doing all stakeholders will benefit and the flora and fauna, particularly endangered species, will be better secured.
Rhino Ark’s conservation work is anchored in three key values:
- Protecting ecosystem integrity;
- Ensuring full involvement of and participation by local communities;
- Forming effective partnerships
The overall approach is embodied in the philosophy ‘HUMANS IN HARMONY WITH HABITAT AND WILDLIFE’, and propagated through effective partnerships with stakeholders.
Dr. Donna Shepard from Rhino Ark Foundation with youth conservation champions sending their greetings to the Popcorn community of change makers.
Read this article about Rhino Ark Foundation’s Rhino Charge initiative